Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Open Mic Night...say what now?

In Milford, NH, there is actually quite the little music scene. Milford is the next town over from Amherst, where the "Oval" is where everything that is anything happens. There are delicious restaurants, cute little shops, and festivals in the grassy center of the it all. If you're paying attention during the presidential campaigns, they usually stop in Milford very first to have "breakfast on the Oval" and to talk with locals.

At night, the dinner restaurants kick it up a notch and several places have live music, almost every night of the week. One of Parents' favorite new places is the Pasta Loft. The Pasta Loft not only has awesome food, but they also have an open air bar on the roof, live music, and lots of extremely fun people. Wednesday is open mic night.

Mr. M is an accomplished guitar player. He was in a band back in SLC for years and years, playing at parties, bars, and restaurants. Since he moved to NH, he has been trying to find a new band with a good fit, with more or less success. Once he discovered open mic night at the Pasta Loft, he has been trying to get up the nerve to dive in and play some songs, but hasn't done so yet. He asked me to sing with him. Without even thinking about it I said, "Sure!"

Well...he was pretty serious about making this happen. I knew it was something he wanted to do, but considering all of the other fun things we had planned during the trip I didn't think it was likely to go through.

Oh, how wrong I was.

The next day he asked what songs I wanted to sing. So we picked some. And we practiced. And we invited family. And we practiced some more. And it kept getting closer. And we kept practicing. On the way to the restaurant, Mom called some friends that they met there a couple of weeks ago who wanted to see Mr. M play. Giddy up.

Me and Mr. M, singing our guts out.

I was solo on this one.
Having never done anything remotely close to this, I was extremely nervous. I'm not a singer. I can sing, but that is very different than being a "singer." Getting up in front of a bunch of people and getting used to a microphone right then and there was scary, but I rallied! I am really glad I got up the guts to get up there and share this daddy-daughter moment with Mr. M.

No comments:

Post a Comment